15 Reasons Your Employees Don’t Care About Your Business

1. Their pay is not competitive in the market.
2. They don’t feel included.
3. You’ve given them no direction.
4. They’re not feeling motivated.
5. The only thing they believe they get from you is a pay check.
6. You have a restrictive work environment.
7. The person, who hired them, lied about the benefits.
8. They just have bad attitudes.
9. There’s no real fit between them and the business.
10. You have not made them stakeholders.
11. They’re not employees… just seat fillers.
12. It’s not a place to grow in.
13. You’re boring.
14. They’re boring.
15. The job is boring.

There are so many reasons they might not care about your business, and all of the reasons might very well be contributing to why your business is not doing as well as your competitors.

So, what can you do about it?

99 Total TweetBacks: ( )
  • : Where is Michael Jackson's body? So strange that nobody knows where he is or will be buried. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @xolubi lol i get ur point bro, but all im saying is its going to be a competitor, directly or indirectly with giants like MS/Apple 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Or hear it again perhaps. I remember hearing that track on Saturday. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @BlokesLib Either switch off the webcam or shower in the dark. Beware of pizza delivery guys wearing night-vision binoculars! 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : scheduled product release announcements, games or contests http://twitRobot.com 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Bank or bust - GoogleOS? Maybe it will give Android a push? http://tinyurl.com/mkt6lv 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : twitter needs to have a post edit. lol so i can correct my spelling mistakes or put in words i forgotted :P 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Are you a therapist or practitioner that would like to share with others how you use our alphamusic in helping people? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : btw, i watched make it or break it last night. i think its good. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Is there any personal tips you have for the hip raise/snap? or any useful information about it? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @TinainMelbourne ahhhh is that the hashtag? try contacting Arena publicity or Fremantle. will DM u a contact 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : RT @reporter4651: Prayer Line NOW OPEN. Call in prayer requests, praise reports or just listen. Call 1-218- 339-2699 Access Code 513120 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Long sabbatical always sounded attractive but finding have all the time to learn new things but very little motivation - me or joblessness? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : CONTACT US FOR OUR SERVICES ON OUR BLOG http://xfactordesigners.wordpress.com/ OR HERE ON TWITTER #fb 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @traphik or Opera. That a good browser too 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : just finished up an interview w/ BSIT. They're holding a career fair today. Catch another live segment at 6:45 or http://tinyurl.com/mq2jyr 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Waiting on my clothes to dry so I can go to work... Or maybe I should stay home. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @vormplus automator seems to be the way to go... or command line tool. The workflow you linked doesn't work though 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Who do you love? Me or the thought of me? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @asiayeah if this still does not work, the cause will be my tv card or power strips - since tested my old display card and pc still resets 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Working on a design mockup for a directory and news portal. This will be widget-extensive, jQuery or Mootools? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : on the air 970 am or www.fatherpeterlive.com tune in 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @Blogatha so is your disgust with adiction or with the substance? There are people who dabble and don't get hooked are they cool? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Increased the size available for adsense adds and the revenue increased slightly...not much 1 or 2 Euro per day. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @swikey You always hope that it's just a shampoo or toothpaste jingle and then the terrible realization sets in that it's a whole song. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : dell is in deep trouble in taiwan, or is it yet another publicity stint? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Every time you're crying or think of dying. I hope you're thinking of me. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Is it just me or Twitter is kinda quiet today? Well, maybe people are giving themselves a chance to miss Twitter. Oh well. *back aching* 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @D_BossLady not really like that...there are apps you can download to access twitter, OR you can bookmark your profile page. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @JubileeHR Morning around 10am I was thinking a Wed or Thursday 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : BBCprime is possibly the worst channel in the world.To anyone not from UK who has seen it-WE REALLY DON'T LOVE BARGAIN HUNT OR 2.4 CHILDREN! 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @ruttski Is there a chance to get the Russian PL include in an update or patch? And will be the 3rd German League in FIFA10? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Just Woke up =p ans i'm still sleepy !! N' i dont know if it's Fake or Not but Lady gaga N' katy perry R FOLLOWING ME !!! 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Here we go tweeps...it's time to get up from your machines and take a break for some physical activity...a walk, a run, a swim or the gym! 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @MrEdLover They're looking down at their feet and/or fittling around when they usually don't. 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @happn_in Is your iPod Touch giveaway restricted to any countries, or is it available to anyone anywhere? 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : @musicaymas el error que me da es "Bad URL, username or password", co 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : RT: to: SimonHampel Are you rural area? ShitTelco tends to be alot slower or have a higher work load in some .. http://digg.com/u17Yfj 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Phil 2:3 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Harvey Nash IT Jobs Productwriter Analyst: x2 experienced PRODUCTWRITER or "Product Writer" a.. http://tinyurl.com/lmmvhg 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : Is confused what is better: a 42" #TFT or a 42" #plasma ? Still convinced of the Panasonic tx-l42s10e tft 07/08/09 11:07am
  • : It's 7pm. You can leave now and beat the traffic, or you can stick around and beat your meat. #fb 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @TizAmii what? are you high or something???? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @chriscanal night, we write some WCF stuff or editor stuff? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : i don't or can't BELIEVE!.. those print are so....x] 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @cspanwj these are the guys who are destroying our economy- either stop them or tax them at 90% - investment banks are doing this as well 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : she must throw 16 or 17 in a minute, I bet she 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @vemana No clue abt that, is it a good thing or bad thing? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : it'd be so much easier if I had friends that liked the same music I liked, or anything else for that matter. Sucks. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @kayp_29 can u get out of it somehow??? say u need to get masks or sth. how's the new workplace? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Seattle Jobs NURSE MANAGER, Main OR - University of Washington Medical Center - Seattle, WA: As a te.. http://tinyurl.com/klstcj 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @BlokesLib That sounds nice. Thankfully it's still warm-ish here. I'll be winding down in another 13 hours or so after my soccer game. :D 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @websiteowner We have a fridge in here which I fought tooth and nail for. Use that to keep your choccy cool, or stop eating choccy fullstop 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Despite the fact that we do all we like in the internet, plz every one should respect him or her self. For the sake of the Young childre ... 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : its raining, should i get wet or not...wink wink! 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : As MJ taught us about def. of news: the public decides what's news, what's relevant. We follow or else! (thx @TweetsbyDesign) #sadbuttrue 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @Seany_Show Still watching the ashes or up for l4d with me and ricky? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Tired, slightly demoralised, but just ten and a half hours or so to hometime to see my lil sis :) 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Carpack's version is 3.4.1 now btw. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : I can't quite decide if I resemble a zombie more in my appearance, or in the way I feel. I'd nap, but a nap would turn into hibernation. Bah 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : "not 'cause she was wily or conniving, but bcs she was right. I do do that all the time. I'm severely full of shit. 18 out of 24 hours" - JM 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @cutesyme sometimes I do that - I just watch to see whats happening....sometimes miss the odd day or too then go crazy for the next few.lol 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @gulpanag u r a veggie or non-veg? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : You might wait a little bit if you plan to buy Groceries or Tipulator. Both apps will be on limited time sale very soon. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @valebrity is a good place to find out if celebrity twitterers are real or fake. If anyone is interested :o) 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : I swear me visit will be cut short. How the hell uhave comp. and you wake them up every morning at 6 or 7 to tell them shit. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Pro life or pro choice? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Is about to create a loud noise aversion (thanks to the British chick from "It's Me or the Dog") to keep Kasey from getting into the trash. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @Brightflashburn TOMORROW? D: OR HP? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : is gettin' tired of studying. commuting for an hour back and forth, just for a 2 or 5 hour-cLass. [ maybe great if its boys hunting. ^^ ] 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Sheesh, decided to cut the cat-toilet cleaning task to just refilling the sand. I, or rather my cat, is using Ever Clean, with scent. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Simpler but not simple RT @MaidenKing Playing only mdn sprints, I don't need to know grass sires or who can get the distance. Simplified 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : watchin tv, or lack there of 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @nathandailo Good to know buddy lol. You keeping busy or what? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : no matter what you called him; wacko jacko, mj or the gloved one - he will truly be missed by everyone for generations. R.I.P M J 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @kelennboo Not so much as the world i guess. Its what twitters all about it. Hate it or love it. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : In emerald - or emrald as the bowls club spells it 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @emilyadamsAU absolutely not. At least she's eye candy. The same can't be said for plot or scripting. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : I'm still looking for old comic book fans or people who like Shania Twain. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Mids a working session where brainstorming is becoming confused. Communities are complex bodies. Leaders can be coercitif or to permissive. 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Word of the day: apogee - adj. Or noun, Verb? Well its the worst word ever. Something with the universe and culmination. Use a dictionary :) 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : RT @holysindevil: IT guy is better than a husband... http://tr.im/rkAV what am I to @mariaelina ? Hubby or IT guy? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @tommcfly wowza jealous or wht!! 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @NickLazzarini Nick, can I offer you a hug or something? You seem to be really upset the last few days. Smile, boo. :) 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @ash_lovee i will be swamped today but never too busy for you .... Just don't over do it or i'll beat you 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @ernursek Exes: Generally doing anything they can to make our lives more difficult regardless of whether it's intentional or not. Sorry Hun! 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : So as you can see by the time stamp, I'm either up very early or really late-what do you think? Here's a hint: G'night, Tweethearts! 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Niether do they kno or care.....GET MONEY 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @mnisha_b was he running a company or some tea stall. Damn! 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : Hamburgers or hotdogs? 07/08/09 11:06am
  • : @SUFCMcBurnie Like in Klick photopoint or boots? If that's what you mean then yes, you can usually. 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : As soon as I go 2 sleep I'll have 2 be right back up, should I press fast forward and nap or play this thing thru... 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : I'd love to connect with you on Facebook | Linked In or Twi.. http://tinyurl.com/mctq9v 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : @carlyluvsunited my suggestion is not to focus on the cartoons or whatever. the truth is always beyond the cartoon. Liberty! USA! USA! :) 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : attending some interesting presentations on the use of Second life in higher education. Experiences or enthusiam for health education? 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : @jrob100 stretch or retractable barriers. barriersdirect.com 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : @obcomTW33Kr I am upset that you have not yet told me the story! You should txt me it or call me and tell me, I'm really curious to hear.. 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : Gooooooood Mooorrnnnninnnggg Vietnam or at least the twitter world. 07/08/09 11:03am
  • : Adopted two troops thru operationshoebox.com. Their wants are simple and 2 B shared w/unit. 1 said families don't write or send things. :( 07/08/09 11:03am

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Personally, I prefer the positive post, the other side of this coin. I think employers, like everyone else, are much more receptive to the positive. Good thinking, Eric. Thanks.
  • Sajith Vasudev
    Right on...Those are definitely the key reasons behind it....
  • also add: the boss is a ****head :)

Good list Eric.
  • lol. Comment of the week. :-D
  • Hey Eric - interesting post. However, I disagree with number one. The pay an employee receives doesn't correlate with the emotional engagement they feel. For most people, getting paid a little more won't change the way they feel about their job. Consider it this way: no one heads into a meeting thinking "I'm gonna make $21 for going to this meeting". And it's even more unlikely that they'd think "If I was getting $23 for going to this meeting, I'd care more about solving the problem." (OK, maybe consultants think this way. But regular employees don't)

Making sure employees have a clear goal to work towards, the tools they need to make progress, and the knowledge that they'll be held accountable/given credit for the outcome are much more central to employee engagement than the competitiveness of their pay. Your thoughts?
  • Hey, Jared. I agree with you in most cases, but I have definitely heard people say this (and even said it myself), something like, "Can you believe I just got paid $25 for doing nothing?! What a waste." I would tend to think of the amount of pay for a certain time period or task relative to what I am able to accomplish, and if I am somehow held back from getting something done, I might think about the futility of my job and that, if my employer is willing to pay me for doing nothing, they probably don't care much... if you see what I'm saying.

Goals and accountability are definitely key, and I think that instilling that in employees is huge, because even if there is wasted time, they are much more likely to put in extra time later (whether paid or unpaid) in order to get things done well... instead of thinking something like, "Well, my 40 hours are up. They paid me for 5 wasted hours in meetings this week, and the job didn't get done because I didn't have time. It's gonna have to wait until next week."

Anyhoo, there are so many sides that it's difficult to say which is right, but I would say that you can't pay people enough to care, but you can pay them enough to feel guilty. ;-)

Thanks for commenting, Jared.
  • I like number 10. Making employees stakeholders is quite a good way to encourage them to work harder. Well, not having the job be boring is a big benefit too.
  • I definitely agree. Just being an employee makes you a stakeholder, but if you don't feel that hard work will be rewarded with recognition, better pay, or whatever else, how large of a stake will you feel you have? Probably not much.

Thanks for commenting, Robby. :-)
  • alexmit
    I'm glad my job is just about the exact opposite of this description : )
  • From what I've seen on http://tatango.tv , I'd guess that's true. :-)
  • Sharoni
    And where is the personal ownership? what about the choice each of us has. The very first choice of "how can I make this job better?" it's not all about the employer to 'give us' and 'make us' and 'grow us'...where is the personal responsibility for ourself to grow? At the end of the day, or more likely - in the beginning of every day - there is a personal choice/decision - how am I going to make my day at work better? how do I get more out of this?
    And yes -- I am not saying the employer's responsibilities can be ignored -- but it is also your responsibility to not let them ignore you.
  • Certainly, there are many contributing factors on the part of the employee... for that reason, I did include a few things like "They just have bad attitudes" and "They're boring." One person can certainly affect change. However, there are plenty of times when people attempt to do that, and it does not work for any number of reasons: everyone else is happy with the way things are, that person has an unpopular idea, other employees are generally apathetic, etc, etc, etc.

I definitely agree that it is not all about what they can give us, but a work relationship is typically a give-and-take situation, and here, I mainly wanted to highlight why an employee might feel s/he is just giving and not getting what s/he believe s/he should.

Good points though for sure. Thanks for your comment, Sharoni. ;-)
  • Miragi
    I've been a seat filler, expendable, and ignored. You're right....all I saw was a paycheck after I woke up and realized I would never go further because I wouldn't play the "game". Bullsh^tting employees makes for a less than enthusiastic team. Hopefully your post will open up some eyes.
  • Thanks. Yeah, I mean, there are so many different variables that, as you well know, it cannot just be blamed on the employer, but I believe that management has a much better ability to affect employees' opinions of the job/business/etc than the employees do themselves.

Thanks again. :-)